Thursday, October 2, 2008

One

I've always heard that "love" is a universal language. Or, if you're a left-brained science geek like my husband, you might be a proponent of the "math is the universal language" debate.

I learned today that grief can be added to that short list of what unites us as one. Words of sorrow and pain and suffering can take a fast track to your heart - even if you have no idea what words are actually being spoken. Sorrow trancends all language barriers.

Korean is not my first language. Or my second. Or my third. Oh, wait...I don't actually know any Korean. But I do know this - that my heart goes out to the brother who lost his sister, the father who lost his daughter, and the mother who lost her child. I am not able to translate their words, but I understand the grief that came through a language foreign to me. It is not always the words we say, but the meaning that is behind them.

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should
One life
With each other
Sisters, brothers
One life
But we're not the same
We get to carry each other
One life
One
-U2, One

Life is fragile. It is a gift we are given each and every day. I lost one of my fellow nursing students to a tragic car accident this week, and am reminded of this.

I sometimes get so caught up in work and school and activities and errands that I forget about what matters most. If I don't get the laundry done, what's the worse that can happen? If the dishes don't make it to the dishwasher after every meal, are the kitchen police going to arrest me? If I let my kids (or colorblind husband) pick out clothes for the day and they aren't really what I would have chosen, is anyone going to judge me? If so, so what? If I can't be supermom and make it to the PTO meetings and volunteer at every school event, will those women come after me and make me feel horrible? (well, maybe there's a little bit of truth to that one!) I have to constantly remind myself that most of it doesn't matter when all is said and done.

What matters is living in grace. And doing the right thing. And hugging your children at least 10 times a day. And telling your husband that you love him and appreciate him each and every day.

Dawool - I pray that your family finds peace and that you rejoice in your eternal life. I'm pretty sure I saw that huge smile of yours shining down with the stars last night!