Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Name Is Earl...

When I was managing apartments in Prescott, one of my service guys was named Earl. Earl B...from Ely, Minnesota. I loved Earl - he had the best Pollock jokes (he was Polish, which makes it ok), was a great storyteller, had a heart of gold, and played the bass guitar. One night we went to watch him play at a local bar - he was really great, and according to legend, may have toured in the 60's and 70's with some renowned rock bands. Anyways, he played "Mustang Sally" that night and it was the best rendition of that song that I have ever heard...I've never forgotten it.

I was at Starbucks this week, and they were playing "Mustang Sally" covered by Wilson Pickett - it reminded me of Earl and I've thought about him all week - when I left Prescott, he was going through some rough times, I think with drinking, a DUI, and job/marital problems. I wish I had taken the time to keep in touch with Earl - he is one of those people who, even though only a part of your life for a brief time, stays with you forever...."Ride, Sally, Ride."