Thursday, April 10, 2008

Can't See The Forest For The Trees

Or, as our motto here in Tucson states: "Can't See The Beauty of Nature For All The Telephone Poles."

Telephone poles and telephone lines are one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to living in Tucson. That, and the infinite number of potholes in our city streets. And the fact that no matter where you are trying to drive to in this town - whether it be just 4.8 miles away or in excess of 30, it still takes you 45 minutes, nonetheless. I know - it's baffling. I grew up in Tucson and still don't get it.

Oh, and the fact that you can start out on a street by one name, drive due east, and the name changes on you 3 times (really, who are the geniuses that came up with this one?!?!?). And what about those streets that abrubtly end, without warning, and then just randomly reappear 1/2 a mile away? Or, the four-lane divided streets that are traveled by maybe 10 cars per day, when there are still the ancient two-laners with no middle turn lane that are traveled by hundreds each hour. Do you see a theme to my Tucson gripes? I LOVE driving in this town!

Let's get back to those telephone poles. I meant to post these photos a few months back when I took them. And, yes, these are actual pictures, not Photoshop-ed to add the snow. It does occasionally snow here, for all you non-Tucsonans!

See, there's the snow. And the big, heavy clouds. And, look, the beginnings of a rainbow. Oh, isn't it all just so beautiful?



But, wait...

...there are those pesky telephone poles that I promised you. (I'll let you in on a little secret about the first three photos: I said that I didn't Photoshop the snow in, but you can be dang sure that I will most certainly crop those big ol' matchsticks out of my shots!)






It's weird, there is this profound concept of burying power lines so that they don't clutter up the streets and skyline, or detract from a city's beauty. I suppose they just haven't heard of that in Tucson yet. You know we are still a "small town," afterall. And by "small town," what we really mean is several hundreds of thousands of people, dontcha' know. With lots and lots of eco-friendly wanna-be's who want us to ride our bikes to work and go green by turning all of our electricty off for one hour on one night of the year, but yet don't mind looking at a majestic, snow-capped desert mountain through a cage of telephone lines. Weird.